Saturday, January 16, 2010

The plane ride

I have arrived in Paris! It's been a long few days but I'm finally here!!

Friday I spent most of my day packing and finalizing some paperwork for school. It went by so quickly, mostly because of the emotional roller-coaster I was on. It finally hit me on Friday morning that I was leaving and it was tough. Mostly because I fear not knowing enough French, doing well in school, and meeting my host family. My parents were really supportive and kept reassuring me that everything was going to be fine and talking to some friends helped too. It was also nice to spend an entire day with my brother who had off from school.

At around 5pm my parents came home and the mad rush to finish closing suitcases began. We left at 5:45pm for the airport and once we got there I checked in and went through security. Funny story, the security man let my laptop fall on the floor because he wasn't paying attention to the bins he had already scanned. So my mac fell flat on the floor, but it's fine. Then I waited at the gate for 3 hours. I think that has been the most nerve-racking part of the last few days - sitting at the gate knowing that I'm getting on a plane, seeing the plane, but not having gotten on or left yet. Eventually though they did start boarding and I left. Surprisingly, one of the dads in my brother's cub scout troop was on the plane with me and a girl from high school.

I arrived in London, took a connection flight to Paris where I waited for my cab which never arrived. But thank goodness there was a sign that said taxis and a cop was just outside helping people get taxis. I was really grateful.

My host family is wonderful. My host mom is so sweet and is helping me with my french. she has two daughters and a son. The eldest daughter lives in Amsterdam (I did not meet her), the son at home, and the youngest daughter in St. Germain des Prés where I go to school. The youngest met me on Saturday when I arrived. She is my age and in medical school. They are all so sweet and I'm so happy because I was really scared to be in Paris. Not anymore!

I did also get to skype with my family which made me feel better. My mom was totally panicked! I do miss everyone though. Email and comment! Love you!

3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you are keeping a blog going, Giuliana! It brings back memories of when Kristina (and Chris) were in Italy for the semester and I would re (and re-read) their posts. I'm sure you will love Paris and I look forward to reading about your adventures!
    Mrs. Snader

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Have so much fun. Eat delicious food and rejoice in the fact that you don't understand anything... at least it's not Romanian!
    -Marika

    ReplyDelete
  3. SO GLAD YOU´RE BLOGGING! I can´t wait to read it everyday!

    B :)

    ReplyDelete